Wednesday 8 August 2012

Book review- A tiny bit marvellous by Dawn French

I didn't think I was going to read this book, but when I saw it in a charity shop for 50p I thought I'd give it a whirl. Quite a few if my friends have read it and enjoyed it so I bought it and saved it for my holiday. I started reading it the day before we flew and then on the aeroplane, it was a perfect book for that as it is written diary style, and the chapters are quite short.
The story follows the Battle family's life over a short period of time, which includes Dora sitting her A levels and turning 18. Dora is quite an immature person, but very insecure, which is not helped by her mum's recent behaviour. Her mum, Mo, is going through a mid life crisis (i think), and sees several things differently to how they really are. My favourite character is granny Pamela, who always seems to know what to say and bake. I didn't think all of the swearing was needed for the storyline and it grated in some sections. I also found Oscar to be a strange character and I have never met a teenager like him. I could easily have removed him from the story or made him a smaller character.
Overall I did enjoy the book despite a few niggles so I give it 3.5 stars out of 5.

Did you enjoy this book?
What did you think about Oscar?
What about Noel's contribution to the storyline?

No comments:

Post a Comment